Friday, January 28, 2011

Trip to the ER

Spent 7 hours at the hospital today. Abdominal pain that was so bad I was SURE it was a kidney stone. I had one about 2 years ago that woke me from a sound sleep. The pain was so bad I couldn't walk, was reduced to crawling to my phone to call 911. That was an interesting day involving an ambulance and a bunch of morphine. Ended with me sitting in a waiting room in my underwear, holding a phone, morphined out of my mind and unable to recall anyone's phone number to call for help getting home.

Today wasn't quite that exciting. I got to do the blood work thing and the pee in a cup thing, the IV thing, the Xray and MRI thing. Couldn't find anything. Wow, I was so sure it was a kidney stone! It has that same deep kinda pain that fluctuates in intensity.

The hospital staff were all really great. They got me warm blankets and really took good care of me.  They put something in the IV that took the edge off for quite a while. Then when that wasn't working so good anymore they gave me something better. Took it from stabby pain to dull ache. . . something way more do-able. Couldn't drive though, so I had to reach Jenny and ask her to come give me a ride home.

That is how I found myself knitting on the shetland shawl handicapped by an IV in my left arm. Had to hold it kind of further out so as not to bend my elbow. Then I held the left needle really still, twisting and turning the right needle, making it do all the work. I did about 8 rows of the lace before the drugs make me afraid to continue on it. I switched to frogging the ribbing off the sheltland hat. I could handle pulling a string even messed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment