Thursday, September 1, 2011

What's Up With Nectarines These Days?

I love nectarines. Loved em since I was a kid. Yummy peach sweetness without the itchy fuzz.

If you climb up a peach tree in the summer, stuff yourself with yummy fresh picked peaches, reclining on the branches lulled into a low doze by the buzzing of the bees, peach juice running down your chin, neck... arms, you will end up soooooooo itchy! Even scrubbing in the shower and soaking in a plastic wading pool will not stop the horrid itching. (ask me how I know) But, nectarines sweet nectarines. All of the goodness with none of the itchy side effects.

Last summer I purchased nectarines several times. They looked lovely though a bit hard and needing to ripen up a bit. I would bring them home and set them on the counter to get softer and juicier. Strangely, when they finally softened up a little and I took a big bite I found that they were mushy and rotting. ewwwwwwwwwwww

This summer I have purchased nectarines twice and they are the same as last year. This time I sliced one up before it got soft and found that it is quite edible though not the correct texture! It is firm and a little crunchy even. I ate two this way with no ill effects. The third got a little softer from sitting around waiting his turn and was mushy and rotting.

So, what the Hell happened to the nectarines? What did they do to them! Are these a new strain that they developed to stay hard so they transport around the globe without bruising? If so, when did it take over all nectarine production? Are there any of the old GOOD nectarines left?

No comments:

Post a Comment