Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Faster Faster, with a little more TWIST

About a year and a half ago, when I got Harley got me a spinning wheel for Christmas, we saw stuff like wheel ratios but the numbers didn't mean all that much. Don't get me wrong. I understand what a ratio of 5:1 or 12:1 means. One turn of the big thing equals five turns of the little thing. Got it. What did that feel like when spinning? No clue.

We settled on the Ashford Kiwi. Nice sturdy beginners wheel. Rock bottom of the price range on new wheels. Very affordable. Was in Harley's budget, anyway.  Out of the box ratios of 3:1 and 5:1. With an speel whorl (gear) available that tops out at 14:1.

There she is the day I got her.
New spinning wheel

Believe you me when I tell you that the slowest speed was too fast at first! I was inching along at 3:1 and I couldn't keep ahead of the twist.

We managed to turn this. (that's baby scooter in the background)
 gonna turn this

 Into THIS.
Into this
That is actually my very first yarn right there!

It didn't take long though, to need the faster whorl. It did seem quit a bit faster... at first.

At some point last week I realized that the pain in my right shoulder, the one that was causing me to put my coat on funny, the one keeping me from picking my purse up with my right hand, was probably from long draw. Been spinning long draw a lot lately, stretching the fiber past my body then holding it there while treadling like mad to get the single twisted. Immediately after bring the right arm to the front of the body to wind on the new yarn it of course goes right back to stretching it back and behind again.

Don't get me wrong Kiwi. I still love you. You will always be my first wheel. I just need another wheel who can keep up on high twist jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment